It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Any suggestions for best UV mapping methods?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 pm 

Hi,

I realise this topic is covered in the PolyVox docs, but I'd like to see if someone can come up with something more specific than the guidelines in the documentation.

What I would like to be able to do is have any number of textures per terrain (extracted mesh), blend them together smoothly and not go above 4 (but 8 might be acceptable) textures per actual mesh. It would be preferable if I didn't have to use shaders, but I'm already asking for the impossible so if I have to use shaders, I have to use shaders.

I need to be able to assume each voxel in every group of 8 could be a separate texture (material). Well, maybe. Also, I'm using DirectX 9, so no OpenGL and no DX10+.

Now I do realise this sounds like I'm saying, "Here's what I need, get to work" (and indeed I sort of am), but believe me when I say the only reason I'm asking for this is because I have absolutely no idea how I would go about implementing this. If no one wants to work this out for me, no one has to, and I'll spend some time and learn how to do it myself, but if someone feels like helping, it would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Clonkex

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Any suggestions for best UV mapping methods?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:09 pm 
Developer

Yeah, this is a complex area. Overall I still feel the best approach is the one I presented in Volumetric Representation of Virtual Environments, but possibly with the triangle duplication moved to the geometry shader (I haven't tried this). I'm also investigating a new approach for Cubiquity but this isn't fully working yet.

You will definitely need to use shaders and should start by getting normal triplanar texturing working. Then just follow up if you have any questions about the article, though it's a while since I wrote it so I may be a little hazy.

Offline Profile