It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Voxel Stamps
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:21 am 

So after playing around with Cubiquity Terrain Volumes for a bit trying to make a floating island, I managed to only make strange phalic shapes and decided to take another approach.

I figured there must be a better way to get the basic footprint I could start from and then sculpt detail later. After some experimentation I came up with a concept I am calling Voxel Stamps (not sure if this has been done before actually...)

http://youtu.be/CiwKjmJthwM

Anyways, let me know what you think! :)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Voxel Stamps
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:58 pm 
Developer

Ok, this is seriously cool stuff :-) Adding mesh import has been on my mind for a long time so it's nice to see that in principle it works. It was also very interesting to see someone else using the system, and to see the things which were not obvious or which other people do differently to me. As for you comments/questions:

The sculpting tool is indeed quite limited. I can see it's strange that it always goes towards the camera... perhaps it should grow in the direction of the surface normal? We should probably play with some other sculpting programs and see how they work.

I believe the problem with the volume sometimes not loading is now fixed. At least, I did some refactoring and haven't seen it happen for a while. You could try the development version if you are feeling brave.

For blurring the whole volume you can *probably* call TerrainVolumeEditor.BlurTerrainVolume() with a region covering the whole volume. Haven't tested it, and actually this is kind of a temporary API because I don't know what should be exposed yet. But it might work for you. Actually the proper solution is to set the density based on how much of the voxel is inside the mesh, but that's a little complicated.

I'm not sure that you'll be able to save the volumes at run time. Try calling VolumeData.CommitChanges() at runtime. If that doesn't work, the best chance you have is to create your volume though code (rather than in the editor) and manually create a VolumeData as well. Possibly with this function:

http://www.cubiquity.net/cubiquity-for- ... 3efae08892

You'll still need the VolumeData.CommitChanges() call. In the latest development version there are more examples of creating volumes at runtime.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I see you are also active on the Unity forums. If it doesn't matter to you, would you mind posting questions/feedback in the Unity forums thread instead? Just because it helps visibility and shows activity around the project. But if you'd rather keep posting here then that is fine too.

Offline Profile