It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: PolyVox Unity3d port?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:15 pm 

Any chances of porting PolyVox onto Unity3D? Unity really lacks voxel engine that is actually good, all existing ones are either poorly optimized or block only.

And PolyVox is perfect one, would like to see it once in Unity's Asset Store...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: PolyVox Unity3d port?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:39 pm 
Developer

We don't plan do a port as such, but we are actively investigating providing a higher-level integration package which would build on PolyVox and connect it to other engines. Currently we're doing these experiments within the context of Gameplay3D (because it's free) but Unity will probably be the next target due to the existence of the asset store.

We can't say if it will really come together yet, and if it does it will be pro-only due to PolyVox being in C++. We'll also charge for it, in the hope of making money while leaving PolyVox free.

Otherwise there are C# bindings to PolyVox which are improving. I don't know exactly what this allows in terms of integration with Unity (you would still need the native .dlls) but it will probably help.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:00 pm 

Well, I don't think making it Pro-only is really necessary. Awesomium, engine-friendly Webkit implementation also is written in C++ and it can be used with free version of Unity (I know, because I've tried).

Sure, it requires some "hacks" to get it to work, but nothing that breaks Unity EULA or which is too hard to do (everything is written on this web page).

And for paying thing, I'd gladly pay for it if price is fair. In such projects money is important thing and I understand that. But please, don't set price tag too high, would like to pay ~$30 for that, but not e.g. $99 or $100+.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 pm 
Developer

Darkhog wrote:
Well, I don't think making it Pro-only is really necessary. Awesomium, engine-friendly Webkit implementation also is written in C++ and it can be used with free version of Unity (I know, because I've tried).

Sure, it requires some "hacks" to get it to work, but nothing that breaks Unity EULA or which is too hard to do (everything is written on this web page).

This is interesting - I've heard there are tricks to get around the lack of C++ support but I haven't looked into them (haven't even downloaded unity yet...). I think it's something we'll look at but Pro will probably come first.

Darkhog wrote:
And for paying thing, I'd gladly pay for it if price is fair. In such projects money is important thing and I understand that. But please, don't set price tag too high, would like to pay ~$30 for that, but not e.g. $99 or $100+.

We really haven't decided about the price, but I can say that VoxelForm appears to have failed because it could not keep up with the required support. It seems like it actually needed fewer but higher paying users, and this is something we have to keep in mind. Eventually there could be some kind of tiered system or a version without support... but this would have to come later and initially it will target the professional market.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 am 

David Williams wrote:
This is interesting - I've heard there are tricks to get around the lack of C++ support but I haven't looked into them (haven't even downloaded unity yet...). I think it's something we'll look at but Pro will probably come first.

If I'm not totally mistaken (and I may be as I only used Unity very briefly), you can just include any *.dll as usual in C#. At least that is what I did when doing some research about Unity, and it worked.
And I certainly did not buy Unity.

Of course, that only worked on Windows, and I never tested on any other platforms, but it should be similar for *.so files, I guess.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 pm 
Developer

Well if there is an easy way to use native .dlls on Windows then I'll definitely look into it. Of course we would be keen to get the voxel terrain into the hands of as many people as possible, and even if it was limited to Windows then we could sell a reduced price version for Unity Free (perhaps limited functionality or with less support) and then the full thing for Unity Pro.

Plus it would mean we don't have to shell out the money for Unity until we know it works :-)

Offline Profile