It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Change to GPL? Answer: No, still ZLib.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:49 pm 

Admin Note: PolyVox/Thermite3D are under the ZLib license, no need to worry.

Hi there!

I thought I'd come just around here again and see what happened while I wasn't here.

Actually I found pretty much cool stuff David added to polyvox, and when I can re-implement it into my engine (I sadly had to take it out because of a core-rewrite, my old code is still there, though) I'd like to have the new cool features like AmbientOcclusion (Which is also available for non-cubic worlds?).

So, now there was something which confused me. On the frontpage it says this:
Quote:
PolyVox is a game engine component which stores virtual environments using a volumetric representation. This differs from the more common surface representations in that it allows real time modification to be performed much more easily. PolyVox also handles the generation of triangles meshes so that the technology can be easily integrated into existing game engines. Like Thermite, it is released as open source software under the terms of the GNU Public License. For more details please see the overview of PolyVox here.

Wasn't it the zLib-License? Did you change it?

I would have to stay at my old version of it which I still have to use it if you did. :(

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Change to GPL?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:50 pm 
Developer

No, that's just a error on the front page. PolyVox and Thermite both used to be GPL but we changed it to zlib a while back. The license for them both is explicitly stated in the header of each source file and in the LICENSE.TXT file.

I can absolutely confirm that they are both ZLib licensed.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Change to GPL?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:32 pm 
Developer

That is indeed a mistake - PolyVox and Thermite3D are under the ZLib license as stated on the download page and in the license file.

I'll fix that frontpage as soon as possible - I think I accidentaly reverted the front page to an older version when fiddling with the site.

Edit: Fixed it now! Sorry about that. And thanks Matt for jumping in so quickly, I don't want to worry people ;-)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Change to GPL? Answer: No, still ZLib.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:15 pm 
Developer

Oh, and to answer your other question, you should be able to use ambient occlusion with non-cubic worlds but I haven't tried it. Let me know how it goes and we can look at any issues.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Change to GPL? Answer: No, still ZLib.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm 

Quote:
That is indeed a mistake - PolyVox and Thermite3D are under the ZLib license as stated on the download page and in the license file.

Thanks for the information! I was really hoping that you say it was just a mistake ;)

Quote:
Oh, and to answer your other question, you should be able to use ambient occlusion with non-cubic worlds but I haven't tried it. Let me know how it goes and we can look at any issues.

Now totally in the cubic worlds, huh? Well, I think I will have rescue my old thread soon ;)

Offline Profile