It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: polyvox integration to irrlicht
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:25 pm 
Developer

Great, thanks. I'm actually wondering whether I can use the Lua API exposed by Cubiquity to import .vxl files. It will be an interesting test of the capabilities anyway. I also came across these maps on the Build and Shoot forums: http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=913

The 'Capitol' one looks nice so hopefully the file format is the same. Too bad the maps are so small because I'd really like to see how far the engine can be pushed :-) Actually, maybe it's an opportunity to try out this: http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~amsmith/papers/voxel-pcg.pdf

So roughly what are your plans... are you building a new AoS client or just using their datasets for testing?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 pm 

David Williams wrote:
Great, thanks. I'm actually wondering whether I can use the Lua API exposed by Cubiquity to import .vxl files. It will be an interesting test of the capabilities anyway. I also came across these maps on the Build and Shoot forums: http://buildandshoot.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=913

The 'Capitol' one looks nice so hopefully the file format is the same. Too bad the maps are so small because I'd really like to see how far the engine can be pushed :-) Actually, maybe it's an opportunity to try out this: http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~amsmith/papers/voxel-pcg.pdf

So roughly what are your plans... are you building a new AoS client or just using their datasets for testing?

At this point I would like to keep my plans private.

I would be curious to see what the maps will look like with the subdivision algorithm. I'm not so sure about the "snowflake lighting" idea though. I don't really see how it has an advantage over normal AO.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Developer

Dynasty wrote:
At this point I would like to keep my plans private.

That's fine, of course. I was mostly just inspired by the idea of importing some of those AoS data sets for testing purposes, but didn't want to steal your idea if you were working on a viewer/editor ;-)

Dynasty wrote:
I would be curious to see what the maps will look like with the subdivision algorithm. I'm not so sure about the "snowflake lighting" idea though. I don't really see how it has an advantage over normal AO.

Yeah... I wasn't really buying that either. I'm very keen to do as much as possible with dynamic lighting approaches. The actual upsampling does sound quite fast but I wish there were more example images to give an impression of how it looks on different data sets.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 am 
Developer

David Williams wrote:
Great, thanks. I'm actually wondering whether I can use the Lua API exposed by Cubiquity to import .vxl files. It will be an interesting test of the capabilities anyway.

It works :-)

However, it does seem to run out of data before all of the map has been loaded... perhaps on the last column or the last slice. I may well have made an error when converting to Lua as arrays seem to start at one instead of zero (but I'm no Lua expert yet!).

The scene above is lit by a single direction light plus ambient lighting. It will make a nice test case when I come to implementing shadows so thanks for the heads up on these datasets.

Offline Profile