It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wrapping up PolyVox development to focus on Cubiquity 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:35 pm 
Developer

Hi all,

For those of you who don't read the blog it is worth bringing the latest post to your attention.
Quote:
Wrapping up PolyVox development to focus on Cubiquity 2
I made the first public release of PolyVox nearly 10 years ago on the Ogre 3D forums. At the time it was just a simple demo to show how voxels and Marching Cubes could be used to create more dynamic environments, but over the years it evolved into a stand-alone library which has been used by several games and our own Cubiquity voxel engine. It’s been a big part of my life for the last 10 years, but as mentioned in previous blog posts I now have less time and am over-committed with the various projects I’m involved in.

Therefore I have decided to officially cease development on PolyVox, though in practice it has not seen much work for the last couple of years. This follows the wrapping up of the current version of Cubiquity last year, and my plan is still to put the majority of my development time into ‘Cubiquity 2’. This will be completely new voxel engine with more limited scope and a focus on research rather than production use (i.e. for the more adventurous!).

More generally, I have some intention of winding down the rest of ‘Volumes of Fun’ over the coming months and breaking Cubiquity 2 into a standalone organisation and/or project on GitHub. But the details of this aren’t really clear yet, and we also need to work out what to do with Voxeliens. For now the existing support channels (e.g. the forums) will remain open and I expect I’ll just provide email support if/when they disappear.

As stated in the post, these forums will remain open for now but will probably be closed at some point in the future (along with the rest of the website?), probably next year. This forum was quite busy in the Minecraft days but mostly it's now just me replying to people directly, and in the future I can do that by email. I'm happy to continue providing support but I feel that anyone just getting started with PolyVox should know that the library is no longer actively developed.

Offline Profile