It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Planning for version 0.3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm 
Developer

I think it's probably time for us to start looking towards version 0.3 of PolyVox. Since version 0.2 we've been working on a combination of adding features and streamlining the API. David's been doing a good job of keeping the changelog updated (me, not so much).

In the bugtracker we've got a good number of recorded issues closed for 0.3 so far (13 as of today) and those items don't cover everything we've done.

However, we've got another list of things we want to get done before the 0.3 release, the current status for which can be seen here. We might end up putting some of these off until the following release depending on priorities and time. On top of that we've got a selection of open issues which aren't assigned to any version at all, some of which might be moved into 0.3 and some which will not.

I will keep this thread updated if anything important changes but otherwise we should hopefully see that list of open issues just go down.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Planning for version 0.3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:44 pm 
Developer

Yep, agreed, otherwise we'll end up leaving it for a year between releases again :-)

I've just been over the issue list and adjusted some priorities, but a couple more could also be pushed back if necessary. There's still quite some work though so I think it will be a couple of months before a release can happen.

A note for everyone - Matt and I were discussing making the next release the last one to support VS2008, as this will then let us move forward and use some more C++11 features in the future. After that VS2010 would be required on Windows... and I think Matt can suggest what version of GCC that would correspond to.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Planning for version 0.3
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm 
Developer

Once we're free to use all the features of VS 2010 (VC++ 10.0) it will almost certainly increase our GCC requirement too. Currently we work on GCC 4.3 (March 2008) and above. Depending on which features we start to use it could push our requirement up to 4.4 (2009) or 4.5 (2010) quite easily. We should keep an eye on what versions are supported by Android etc. to make sure we don't overtake them but apart from that we shouldn't worry too much about GCC version restrictions. We'll be sure to test it before each release so it's clear which versions are supposed to work.

As for clang and co., we haven't made any promises so far so as long as it compiles with the latest release it should be fine.

Offline Profile