It is currently Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: questions about image stacks and Ue4
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:21 pm 

Hey I had couple quick questions.

Is there anywhere which I can download and older version of cubuquity that still has the ability create a volume using image stacks? Can image stacks also be used with smooth terrain?

are there any plans to allow people purchase/try out an in progress version of cubuquity for ue4 soon, and will it/could it include making terrain from image stacks?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: questions about image stacks and Ue4
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:13 am 
Developer

brehto wrote:
Is there anywhere which I can download and older version of cubuquity that still has the ability create a volume using image stacks? Can image stacks also be used with smooth terrain?

This is still possible in the latest version, see here: http://www.cubiquity.net/cubiquity-for- ... mageSlices

I agree the interface isn't so nice as you have to use an external command-line tool to create the VDB from the images. But it's not so hard to implement this in code if you wanted to - it's just a three-level loop which iterates over each pixel of each slice and copies the colour value into the volume data.

It doesn't work with smooth volumes, but again you could in principle implement this yourself by just reading pixel intensities from a greyscale image and writing them to the first material weight of a TerrainVolume. If you wanted multiple materials then you could store them in separate colour channels of a colour image.

I'm curious though - why do you want to import smooth terrain from image slices? Do you already have a tool which outputs data in this format? Because if there is a useful and publicly available tool for this then I'd be interested in adding support for it myself.

brehto wrote:
are there any plans to allow people purchase/try out an in progress version of cubuquity for ue4 soon, and will it/could it include making terrain from image stacks?

Matt can say better than I can as he is the one working on the UE4 integration. But in general there is no timescale for this, he just works on it as his time allows.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:57 pm 

Hi thanks so much for the help

I have two ways of getting volume data, the more interesting (to me) and opensource is mandelbulb 3d which makes 3d fractals. it has a voxel output option, which outputs an image stack. I have been converting those stack into models up to now but it is time consuming and I think using your voxel tools might actually work better in the end anyways.
http://mandelbulb.com/2014/mandelbulb-3d-mb3d-fractal-rendering-software/

The other is .vol from ct scanning, not as opensource but also can be converted to an image stack.

Thanks again I will do my best to follow your advise tonight!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:57 pm 
Developer

Actually I am aware of Mandelbulb3D though I haven't used it much. Like you, I wanted to create a fractal but for some reason I ended up writing a very simple Mandelbulb generator myself. As I recall it wrote the fractal to image slices and then converted them, as you suggest. You can see an image in this blog post: http://www.volumesoffun.com/a-quick-upd ... reenshots/

So, it is definitely possible. As for CT data I am also very familiar with this, and it should be quite easy to get it into Cubiquity. You should use the TerrainVolume and only make use of the first material. You can then write in the density values from your CT data, but be aware that they need to be mapped to the 0-255 range and that the isosurface is always at 127. You cannot change the isosurface threshold, but you can change the way you map the data to achieve a similar effect. I can elaborate if you want more information.

Offline Profile