It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: PolyVox and Ogre3D
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
Developer

AndiNo wrote:
...I'm glad that there is at least an introductional tutorial. That's more than nothing :)

Yep, well we will try to improve it in time. Just ask if you have any questions until then.
AndiNo wrote:
The warnings look like this:...

Hmmm... I see. And from what milliams says he has to use a command line switch to disable these warnings, which is a little bit annoying. The C++ standard does state that unrecognised pragmas should be ignored.

These #pragma region commands basically serve as markers in Visual Studio in order to customise the code folding. It puts little [+] and [-] symbols in the margin so you can collapse large chunks of code easily. But to be honest I never actually use this feature, so I don't mind removing them. I will do so at the weekend.
AndiNo wrote:
I just think you might want to make the non-C++0x version the default (or at least support it) until C++0x is really standard.

It basically come down to a choice between whether the default requires people to have C++0x or requires them to have Boost. Most compilers (GCC, VS2010) do support C++0x whereas I'm not sure most people have Boost installed. So the option will probably say as it is, but hopefully the Boost guys manage to sort our the incompatibilities.

But if you had to change anything in PolyVox to get it to work with Boost then do let me know and I can insert those changes into the trunk.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm 

David Williams wrote:
But if you had to change anything in PolyVox to get it to work with Boost then do let me know and I can insert those changes into the trunk.
Nope, I just changed the part you pointed out and copied the Boost include folder over from the Ogre SDK.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:08 pm 

I somehow managed to get the voxels on the screen using the CubicSurfaceExtractor. At first I had difficulties finding them in world space as the sphere of voxels was very small. That brings me to another question:
I assumed the "uBlockSideLength" parameter of the Volume constructor was meant to adjust the size of every voxel, however I think that's wrong. Should I just scale the ManualObject to which the "voxels" are attached?

Oh and second: I'm not sure if you know this but how can I achieve the voxel texturing as it is in Minecraft? I think I'll have to use a texture atlas, but how do I actually get the textures on the voxels? Someone at the Ogre forums seems to use a shader, is that the only way?

Third: If I divide my game world into multiple small chunks like Minecraft does, would I create a single Volume for every chunk there is? At first I thought that Regions would have something to do with this but I'm not sure...

Fourth: I've read in another forum (and tested myself) that the Volume class does NOT accept anything else than the MaterialDensityPair class. Isn't it supposed to accept chars, for example, too?
That were more questions than I initially thought ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:16 am 

AndiNo wrote:
I assumed the "uBlockSideLength" parameter of the Volume constructor was meant to adjust the size of every voxel, however I think that's wrong. Should I just scale the ManualObject to which the "voxels" are attached?

I haven't really messed with the sizing issue yet because I'm using 1 meter per Ogre unit. If I need to I can probably scale.

AndiNo wrote:
Oh and second: I'm not sure if you know this but how can I achieve the voxel texturing as it is in Minecraft? I think I'll have to use a texture atlas, but how do I actually get the textures on the voxels? Someone at the Ogre forums seems to use a shader, is that the only way?

I use a Texture Atlas, and from what I understand, if you use Texture Atlas with Ogre you have to support it with shaders. Here is what I did to get basic texture atlas working:

--Texture coordinates--
In order to use the texture atlas correctly, you need your texture coordinate setup. If you look at CubicSurfaceExtractor you will see the ordering which the triangles are created with. Basically... Let me just post some code. Also this is just the basics to get it to work. It's not 100% correct because I still have some unresolved texturing issues but you will get textures and the back-face culling stuff is correct.

http://pastebin.com/uhLQ4KTr

If you don't understand the ordering of the faces you need to look at CubicSurfaceExtractor for the correct ordering. THe comments in my code are outdated.

--Material Ids--
Look at the examples to see how they are setting the material ids. I then set my vertex coloring to this material ID, which is used in the shaders as an index into the texture Atlas. One more thing, in Minecraft he texture the sides of the cubes with different textures. This is not supported out of the box. You can get this behavior by either setup your texture IDs by looking at the normals of the cubes. Or you can modify CubicSurfaceExtractor to output material ids based on which face of the cube it is extracting.

AndiNo wrote:
Third: If I divide my game world into multiple small chunks like Minecraft does, would I create a single Volume for every chunk there is? At first I thought that Regions would have something to do with this but I'm not sure...

What I'm doing right now is I have Volume objects which are the Chunks. I want to do this with Regions, but to do that I need to modify Volumes to support that. Why do I need this? I'm doing streaming. Right now the "chunks" are volumes. To use regions as chunks I have to make Volume support paging.

AndiNo wrote:
Fourth: I've read in another forum (and tested myself) that the Volume class does NOT accept anything else than the MaterialDensityPair class. Isn't it supposed to accept chars, for example, too?

You can define MaterialDensityPair however you want. Take a closer look at those classes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 pm 
Developer

AndiNo wrote:
I somehow managed to get the voxels on the screen using the CubicSurfaceExtractor. At first I had difficulties finding them in world space as the sphere of voxels was very small. That brings me to another question:

The uBlockSideLength is an advanced parameter which controls the memory management of the volume. If you want more information then the Volume class is quite well documented in Volume.h/.inl. PolyVox always generates voxel of size 1 unit, so you can scale this in Ogre if you want it bigger.

AndiNo wrote:

The way you handle texturing is completly seperate from PolyVox, for example PolyVox does not even generate texture coordinates. However, it does copy the 'MaterialID' from the voxel into the generated mesh. You can use this to choose which texture to apply.

For a mincraft style game I guess you will want texture coordinates, and the best approach is to generate them in a shader. You might want to research 'Triplanar texturing' and look in GPU Gems 3 Chapter 1 which is available on NVidia's website.

I use a similar approach in my current work in Thermite, though I'm applying a normal map rather than a texture map. Some useful (though work in progress) Ogre/shader code:

Ogre material:
Code:
material ColouredCubicVoxel
{
    technique
    {               
        pass Light0
        {                   
            // Vertex program reference
            vertex_program_ref ColouredCubicVoxelVP
            {
            }

// Fragment program
            fragment_program_ref ColouredCubicVoxelFP
            {
                param_named_auto lightPosition light_position 0
                param_named_auto lightColour light_diffuse_colour 0
            }   

texture_unit
            {
                texture ColorMap.png 1d
                filtering point
            }

texture_unit
            {
                texture voxel-normalmap.png 2d
                filtering anisotropic
                max_anisotropy 16
            }       
        }

pass Light1
        {           
            scene_blend add

{
            }

// Fragment program
            {
                param_named_auto lightPosition light_position 1
                param_named_auto lightColour light_diffuse_colour 1
            }   

texture_unit
            {
                texture ColorMap.png 1d
                filtering point
            }

texture_unit
            {
                texture voxel-normalmap.png 2d
                filtering anisotropic
                max_anisotropy 16
            }   
        }
    }
}

Ogre program:
Code:
vertex_program ColouredCubicVoxelVP cg
{
    source ColouredCubicVoxel.cg
    entry_point ColouredCubicVoxelVP
    profiles vs_3_0 vs_2_x vs_2_0 vs_1_1 vp40 vp30 vp20 arbvp1

default_params
    {
        param_named_auto world world_matrix
        param_named_auto viewProj viewproj_matrix
    }
}

[b]Cg shader code:[/b]
fragment_program ColouredCubicVoxelFP cg
{
    entry_point ColouredCubicVoxelFP
    profiles ps_3_x ps_3_0 ps_2_x ps_2_0 ps_1_4 ps_1_3 ps_1_2 ps_1_1 fp40 fp30 fp20 arbfp1

default_params
    {
        param_named_auto ambientLightColour ambient_light_colour
        param_named_auto cameraPosition camera_position
    }
}

Code:
void ColouredCubicVoxelVP(
    float4 inPosition    : POSITION,
    float4 inNormal        : NORMAL,
    float2 inMaterial    : TEXCOORD0,

out float4 outClipPosition        : POSITION,
    out float4 outWorldPosition    : TEXCOORD0,
    out float4 outWorldNormal    : TEXCOORD1,
    out float2 outMaterial        : TEXCOORD2,

uniform float4x4 world,
    uniform float4x4 viewProj
    )
{   
    //Compute the world space position
    outWorldPosition = mul(world, inPosition);   

//Just pass though the normals without transforming them in any way. No rotation occurs.
    outWorldNormal = inNormal;

//Compute the clip space position
    outClipPosition = mul(viewProj, outWorldPosition);

//Pass through the material
    outMaterial = inMaterial;
}

void ColouredCubicVoxelFP(
    float4 inPosition        : POSITION,
    float4 inWorldPosition    : TEXCOORD0,
    float4 inWorldNormal    : TEXCOORD1,
    float2 inMaterial        : TEXCOORD2,

uniform float4 ambientLightColour,
    uniform float4 lightPosition,
    uniform float4 lightColour,
    uniform float4 cameraPosition,

uniform sampler1D colorMap : TEXUNIT0,
    uniform sampler2D heightMap : TEXUNIT1,

out float4 result        : COLOR)
{   
    //Sample the normal map three times and choose between them using triplanar texturing. This is a little wasteful of
    //texture samples as we only end up using one of them. In the future, think about sampling only once and then rotating
    //the result into the correct coordiante system?
    //Note: The multiplication by -1 flips the texture which otherwise has the origin at top left instead of bottom right
    //We also may flip the x texture coordinate depending which side if the cube we are looking at (according to normal)
    float3 normalSampleXY = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.xy * float2(inWorldNormal.z, -1.0f) + float2(0.5f,0.5f)).xyz;
    float3 normalSampleZY = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.zy * float2(inWorldNormal.x, -1.0f) + float2(0.5f,0.5f)).zyx;
    float3 normalSampleXZ = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.xz * float2(inWorldNormal.y, -1.0f) + float2(0.5f,0.5f)).xzy;   

//Decompress, and zero two to the sampes (according to normal);
    float3 normalDecompXY = normalize( normalSampleXY * 2.0f - 1.0f ) * abs(inWorldNormal.z);
    float3 normalDecompZY = normalize( normalSampleZY * 2.0f - 1.0f ) * abs(inWorldNormal.x);
    float3 normalDecompXZ = normalize( normalSampleXZ * 2.0f - 1.0f ) * abs(inWorldNormal.y);

//For the back sides of the cubes the normals are flipped
    normalDecompXY.xz *= inWorldNormal.z;
    normalDecompZY.xz *= inWorldNormal.x;
    normalDecompXZ.xy *= inWorldNormal.y;

//It seems that because of the texture coordinate origin top-peft vs bottom-left issue, we have to
    //flip the y of the normal (notice that this is differnt from flipping the y of the texture coordinate).
    normalDecompXY.y *= -1.0;   
    normalDecompZY.y *= -1.0;   
    normalDecompXZ.z *= -1.0;   

//Our final normal;
    float3 worldNormal = normalDecompXY + normalDecompZY + normalDecompXZ;

//Diffuse
    float3 lightDir = normalize(lightPosition.xyz -  (inWorldPosition.xyz * lightPosition.w));
    float4 diffuseLightColour = lightColour * max(dot(lightDir, worldNormal), 0.0);

//Specular
    float shininess = 10;
    float Ks = 0.3;

float3 V = normalize(cameraPosition.xyz - inWorldPosition.xyz);
    float3 H = normalize(lightDir + V);
    float specularLight = pow(max(dot(worldNormal, H), 0), shininess);
    float3 specularLightColor = Ks * lightColour * specularLight;

//Used to attenuate the light when the surface is pointing away from the
    //light source, but the adjusted normal is still pointing towards it because
    //of the normal map. Maybe check for a better way to handle this...
    float diffSpecScaleFactor = dot(lightDir, inWorldNormal.xyz);
    diffSpecScaleFactor = sign(diffSpecScaleFactor);
    diffSpecScaleFactor = (diffSpecScaleFactor + 1.0f) * 0.5f;

float u = (inMaterial.x / 256.0f) + (1.0f / 512.0f);
    float4 sample = tex1D(colorMap, u);
    //sample *= height.x;
    sample.xyz *= ((specularLightColor + diffuseLightColour.xyz) * diffSpecScaleFactor + ambientLightColour.xyz);
    result = sample;
}

AndiNo wrote:

In Thermite I create one volume but generate a seperate mesh for each region. When a voxel changes you will need to regenerare the mesh for the region the voxel is in. It's basically your responsibility to handle all this, though you might find the code in 'VolumeChangeTracker' useful. This class may disappear in the future but consider it a starting point.

AndiNo wrote:

This is a bit of a mess and needs sorting out, but basically you can write a new class with the same interface as MaterialDensityPair. It just needs 'getDensity()' and 'getMaterial()' functions. The density controls whether a voxel is 'solid' based on whether it is above or below a threshold. The material controls what material id gets copied into the mesh for a solid voxel.

beyzend wrote:
--Texture coordinates--
In order to use the texture atlas correctly, you need your texture coordinate setup. If you look at CubicSurfaceExtractor you will see the ordering which the triangles are created with. Basically... Let me just post some code. Also this is just the basics to get it to work. It's not 100% correct because I still have some unresolved texturing issues but you will get textures and the back-face culling stuff is correct.

http://pastebin.com/uhLQ4KTr

If you don't understand the ordering of the faces you need to look at CubicSurfaceExtractor for the correct ordering. THe comments in my code are outdated.

I didn't read your code but actually I wouldn't recommend this approach. You'll probably find it easier to just use the world space fragment position as a texture coordinate. For example, if you are shading a fragment with world space position (5.5, 6.7, 0.0) and with a normal of (0,0,1) then you can just use (5.5, 6.7) as your texture coordinate. I guess you could do this in C++ code but your better off doing it in a shader so that you have less data to pass to the graphics card.

Also, the CubicSurfaceExtractor is very inefficient at the moment. It generates 4 vertices and 2 triangles for each face, whereas in practice vertices should be shared and coplanar triangles should be merged. Once I do this (not for a while) I imagine your current approach will get more tricky.

As for your texturing issues I looked at your screenshots and it's probably due to mixing linear filtering with texture atlases. This means at the edge of a texture you actually get some of the neighbouring texture bleeding in. Texture atlases do not play well with linear filtering and mipmaps.

beyzend wrote:
What I'm doing right now is I have Volume objects which are the Chunks. I want to do this with Regions, but to do that I need to modify Volumes to support that. Why do I need this? I'm doing streaming. Right now the "chunks" are volumes. To use regions as chunks I have to make Volume support paging.

Yep, given that PolyVox does not support streaming that's probably how I would have implemented it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:39 am 

Oh you mean I could use the world coordinate as the texture coordinate and do the texture coords transformation in the shader? I never thought about that. I'm not sure how to do it since right now I'm using it as in index in to sort of a texture array like thing (from 0.0 to 0.025 is first texture). I will sleep on it it's late :), I'm sure I will figure it out. (Update: stupid. I forgot that vertex color has limited precision I was assuming it had 32 bit precision. That explains why I was having issues.)

As for the texture thing, yeah, I figured that part out with the filtering modes. But I was having some other issues which I just now solved. That's why for a while I didn't fix it because I thought I was having one issue when I was having two issues. (Basically the other problem is somehow the texture index I pass into the shader is not correct. If I manually compute the index in the shader then it's correct.)

I'm just using the cubic extractor right now so I can get something to work. I will look more into it later. Either I will update with your changes or I can work something out on my own.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:12 pm 
Developer

beyzend wrote:
Oh you mean I could use the world coordinate as the texture coordinate and do the texture coords transformation in the shader? I never thought about that.

Yep, that's basically what I mean. I'll leave you to work it out but let me know if you have problems.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:42 pm 

Thanks to both of you for sharing your code!

@David Williams
I tried getting your shader to work, however I have no experience with shaders whatsoever. Just today I read through some tutorials to understand the basics.
I copied the code in the corresponding files and applied the ColouredCubicVoxel material to the ManualObject. Then I copied over some textures to use as ColorMap.png and voxel-normalmap.png. It doesn't really work, though. How are both pngs supposed to look like? I can't seem to work that out. And I hope I'm not asking too much, but could you give me a pointer as to what I have to change in order to see a real texture applied to my mesh? At the moment these things seem to be way above my skill level :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:21 am 

David,

I know you are probably busy but what do you think about using instancing as a way to optimize the "cube" surface extraction? (Should I start another thread? but I guess this would be relevant to AndiNo also.)

Let's say I have a single vertex buffer which contains a constant number of vertices defined for say a single 16x16x128 region. Let's also assume the vertices are in object space. Then I could simply construct lists of triangles as I extract my surface. Then I render different N sets of triangle lists for N number of regions but all with that one single vertex buffer. In my shader I would transform the vertices into it's final position in world space as I would also pass in a world transform for each set of triangle list. The other optimization is to not have coplanar triangles. I think it's doable.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:53 am 
Developer

AndiNo wrote:
Thanks to both of you for sharing your code!

@David Williams
I tried getting your shader to work, however I have no experience with shaders whatsoever. Just today I read through some tutorials to understand the basics.
I copied the code in the corresponding files and applied the ColouredCubicVoxel material to the ManualObject. Then I copied over some textures to use as ColorMap.png and voxel-normalmap.png. It doesn't really work, though. How are both pngs supposed to look like? I can't seem to work that out. And I hope I'm not asking too much, but could you give me a pointer as to what I have to change in order to see a real texture applied to my mesh? At the moment these things seem to be way above my skill level :)

Ok, the code I posted before was straight out of Thermite and probably a little more complex than you needed. Here is some new code which is about as simple as it can get for texxturing:

Ogre Material
Code:
material ColouredCubicVoxel
{
    technique
    {               
        pass
        {                   
            {
            }

// Fragment program
            {
            }   

texture_unit
            {
                texture texture-name-here.png 2d
                filtering anisotropic
                max_anisotropy 16
            }       
        }
    }
}

Ogre Program
Code:
vertex_program ColouredCubicVoxelVP cg
{
    entry_point ColouredCubicVoxelVP
    profiles vs_3_0 vs_2_x vs_2_0 vs_1_1 vp40 vp30 vp20 arbvp1

default_params
    {
        param_named_auto world world_matrix
        param_named_auto viewProj viewproj_matrix
    }
}

fragment_program ColouredCubicVoxelFP cg
{
    entry_point ColouredCubicVoxelFP
    profiles ps_3_x ps_3_0 ps_2_x ps_2_0 ps_1_4 ps_1_3 ps_1_2 ps_1_1 fp40 fp30 fp20 arbfp1

default_params
    {
    }
}

Cg Shader Code
Code:
void ColouredCubicVoxelVP(
    float4 inPosition    : POSITION,
    float4 inNormal        : NORMAL,

out float4 outClipPosition        : POSITION,
    out float4 outWorldPosition    : TEXCOORD0,
    out float4 outWorldNormal    : TEXCOORD1,

uniform float4x4 world,
    uniform float4x4 viewProj
    )
{   
    //Compute the world space position
    outWorldPosition = mul(world, inPosition);   

//Just pass though the normals without transforming them in any way. No rotation occurs.
    outWorldNormal = inNormal;

//Compute the clip space position
    outClipPosition = mul(viewProj, outWorldPosition);
}

void ColouredCubicVoxelFP(
    float4 inPosition        : POSITION,
    float4 inWorldPosition    : TEXCOORD0,
    float4 inWorldNormal    : TEXCOORD1,

uniform sampler2D heightMap : TEXUNIT0,

out float4 result        : COLOR)
{   
    inWorldNormal = normalize(inWorldNormal);

float3 col;

//World position is used as texture coordinates. Choose which
    //two components of world position to use based on normal. Could
    //optionally use a different texture for each face here as well.
    if(inWorldNormal. x > 0.5)
    {
        col = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.yz);
    }

if(inWorldNormal. x < -0.5)
    {
        col = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.yz);
    }

if(inWorldNormal. y > 0.5)
    {
        col = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.xz);
    }

if(inWorldNormal. y < -0.5)
    {
        col = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.xz);
    }

if(inWorldNormal. z > 0.5)
    {
        col = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.xy);
    }

if(inWorldNormal. z < -0.5)
    {
        col = tex2D(heightMap, inWorldPosition.xy);
    }

result = float4(col, 1.0);
}

This simply applies the same texture to each face. It also doesn't handle voxels with different materials. But hopefully it is a pretty good starting point for you.

If you can't get it to work then post a screenshot of what you see.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next